Guilty Secrets

In an attempt to finally reclaim our old barn for car parking this winter (yes we are thinking that far ahead) we have finally got down to the hard business of clearing out. To be truthful this is more about sorting and moving stuff to the other big shed in our garden. It's like houses, the bigger your house, the more stuff you accumulate to fill it! Except in the case of the garden we are now up to quite a shanty town of accomodation. I have always been quite certain that none of the stuff cluttering up the barn could be anything to do with me. For years I have moaned about dead mowers, planked oak trees and an entire chain-saw massacre of power tools! Every icy morning that saw me spraying gallons of de-icer at my poor old car, I would glare jealously into the comparatively warm depths of the barn, knowing it could be completely empty if only someone else would remove all their rubbish. But this weekend I had a surprise. Imagine my embarrassment as, one after another, a steady flow of auction bargains and family hand-me-downs came to light!

At one point it seemed endless. A child's armchair, a wall cupboard with open shelves above, a low table, dolly's high chair, a shield backed nursing chair, a victorian mahogany dining chair, 2 kitchen chairs, a nice elm carver, a hall table with drawer...the list just grew! Oh my! So that's what was in there! Clearly large amounts of humble pie are to be eaten in this household for a while. And now, with my shame published on the www and with my new found blog conscience I shall endeavour to update you from time to time on the progress of these items from shed to home! If you don't see any progress, please feel free to nag me, my husband would greatly appreciate the support! In the meantime I shall also try to avoid sale rooms and field sales for a bit...I said I'd try!
Of course none of this takes into account the half finished projects already languishing indoors. And then there are the little projects found in hidden corners of the garden....
.... and does anyone know these chaps?
Now, excuse me, I need to climb through to the bit of the barn that houses paints, brushes and sandpaper! They're in there somewhere.....

Comments

Ragged Roses said…
Hello! I followed a link from Niki and just popped over for a visit. Your blog is lovely, I love all the treasures in that shed!
Kimx
Niki Fretwell said…
Hi T!
WOW! You are going to be busy!!
Hope the weather is still lovely in the east and you can do some of the painting in the garden. Look forward to seeing some results! The barn looks too gorgeous for clutter!

(I've posted those embarrassing pics on my blog!! Hope that's OK!)
Will email soon - have to take M for an interview this morning!
Niki x
Rosie said…
Hi! I'm just checking your blog through the "Show and Tell" link. It's wonderful! I am so glad I'm not the only one who "forgets" all the lovely "projects" she buys at sales, to be worked on "later"!:)
Rosie