Lost and Found

Well, the Americans are flying home as I type and we look forward to the next time we have them in our home! To avoid dwelling on the expanse of ocean once again returning between myself and a cup of tea with my friend, I have been clearing cupboards and this is one of the lost projects I have retrieved!
I started this patchwork quilt cover when I was about 14. I continued to persevere until it was finally useable when I was 19! I had worked for a short time with a fine interior designer and, when I left for college, I was allowed to take my pick of their swatch room, coming home laden with country house chintzes! Many of these found their way into my patchwork. 
There was a bolt of precious rosy seer-sucker from my grannies fabric box which I treasured greatly and there are also many pretty florals taken from old dresses of my mum and I. Many of them I can remember us wearing. I was particularly fond of the short skirt I made of the 50's roses; I would wear it with opaque tights and heavy black Doc. Martins! Very dainty!
By the time I was 22 I was living with my future husband and I had extended my quilt cover to a king-size. It is not in any way a sophisticated patchwork. Just lots of completely random squares of fabric and the fact that it is two sided means it's not that comfortable for sleeping under. Equally many of the fabrics have perished as they were too old and fragile to withstand regular laundering at hot temperatures! This is the side I had already started to patch!
It looks so pretty to see our old linen returned to the family bed that I have decided to turn it into a throw so that it can be used more often. As it is double sided I will be able to make two huge throws once I have patched and padded and quilted. I am so looking forward to working on it and reminiscing about people and places.
Now I need to load all the other treasures back into cupboards for another day and prepare for the week ahead. I shall have a glass of wine with supper tonight and toast absent friends. And I shall ask Sarah to send me a piece of fabric to include in my throw. It would be nice to bring it up to date with new memories to ponder after the passing of a few more decades! Have a lovely week everyone. t.x

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so glad that you had such a lovely time with your visitors - I was thinking of.

A patchwork of memories how wonderful - lucky you - and to daydream of lovely days with grandmother and mother, and youthful days of roses and Doc Martins - I envy you.

Glad you had a lovely day visiting a garden - but it is far more rewarding when its your own 'patch' and all your own work.
What a lovely quilt. And to have started it when you were only fourteen.

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy
Emily said…
Wow! How great to have something you've worked on for so long and that has evolved as your life changes. What a great way to remember special times. It's beautiful!
Anonymous said…
Great quilt its so homey looking!
Diane