Holiday's Over

The beautiful boy was back at school today...
We had a lovely Easter break made special by time with good friends. We even managed a visit here; The Shell Museum at Glandford. I have tried to visit so many times and always either ended up on the wrong side of the river or chosen a time when it was closed.
It is a wondrous place.
Full of cabinets of curiosities.
In fact the whole building is one huge Cabinet of Curiosities.
It is run as a private trust which is probably why it has survived the huge spring cleaning of our museums which seemed to have taken place around the millennium.
Here there are no interactive displays, no key stage curriculum references, not even many explanatory labels.
Just cabinets, shelves, boxes and displays all relating to shells- sea shells, tortoise shells, turtle shells, shells made into flowers, shells polished and shining like the crown jewels!
even x-rays of shells.
I loved it! I loved every bit of every brimful cabinet.
I do love the modern museums too. They are educationally wonderful for little people, but it was so refreshing to visit a place which was just there for no other reason than it is full of lovely things. And if you would like to visit: these are the times. Note to self - check before driving out and be sure to be on the right side of the river!
Sunday saw me spending a lovely day at the Little Vintage Lover Fair at Blakeney,
I didn't take many pictures. Clever Zoe had put me next to Mrs Bobobun and we spent the day chatting and planning - Our next Pick 'n' Mix Makers Market is fast approaching!
I had a few new yummy vintage bits on my stall....
I was a bit sad to sell this handsome chap.....
and the cupcakes were popular as ever even though the ice-creams and beach huts are back in season!
I've a few extra things for my shop although mostly for the next few months I'm busy busy getting ready for events.....
.. a couple of lavender pockets will be in the shop soon....
they are so resonant of summer, I'm loving having them in the workroom.
A couple of new cushions with hand applique onto vintage linen....
I still have another wonderful day trip to share with you and I'm saving it still for another day. I hope you're all enjoying a smooth return from the holidays. A number of children at the beautiful boy's school are enjoying extended holidays which I'm sure they are loving.... even if their parents are longing to fly home! Back soon. t.x

Comments

I had not heard of a shell museum before but love the idea of it. I will be sure to make a point of visiting when I find myself in that area. It looks like such a lovely place to visit.

The stalls look full of pretty and tempting goodies.

Warm wishes
Isabelle x
Great shells & i have a postcard with Make Do & Mend on it from the Australian War Memorial, where is it i wonder . . . love Posie
Sounds like you had a great break!
I've never heard of the shell museum!! It looks really lovely though!!! The vintage fair looks fantastic too!! So many pretty things!
xxxx
Laura said…
Ooh what lovely pictures!

Btw I gave you an award :)

Check it out at http://afenneldesigner.blogspot.com/

Laura xx
What I would give to live near that museum!!!! Love you cushions and the way the lovely hairslides are presented on cards.
Love your cushions...the Shell Museum looks interesting too
A time to dance said…
I would love to go to a shell museum, I spend every holiday collecting them, perhaps I could open my own museum! The fais looks lovely, I really like the lavender bags, so simple so beautiful...love H
Julia said…
What a wonderful museum! Id like to visit that place myself someday.
Your stall looks amazing, you make some beautiful things, the cushions are fab and I do like the lavender pockets, I bet they smell divine!

Love Julia x x x
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful place! I particularly like the xray photos. I'm sorry I missed you at Blakeney but we're looking forward to seeing you at the Pick n'mix market. Px
Penny said…
What a wonderful place! I particularly like the xray photos. I'm sorry I missed you at Blakeney but we're looking forward to seeing you at the Pick n'mix market. Px
Oooh! Not sure which one I would have liked to visit most - the shell museum or the vintage fair!

I adore small museums, especially if the exhibits are just a bit random!