Calm before the Storm?

Before the threatened nasty damp pictures I thought I'd share some pictures of the lovely, faded old wallpaper....
...did anyone else adore 'Spirograph' when they were kids?  I am reminded of hours of happy squiggling whenever I look at this design...
I love the way the inks sit on the surface of the paper making the texture three-dimensional....
So many variations of one pretty motif....
Each one in the same delicate colours; I especially love that vibrant blue...
A long way to go before it's all revealed and then I'll have to decide how much of it, if any, I can keep - I'm hoping for one complete wall....the funny sticky backed 80's stuff is coming off easily but in lots and lots and lots of tiny bits......!!!
Now, grab a cuppa and sit down for the nasty nasty damp pictures!
This chimney stack is a bit of a disaster area! The whole gable will be stripped back to the Norfolk Red bricks and replastered with traditional lime plaster to allow the building to breathe again!
This is going to be the Beautiful Boy's bedroom... one day!
The furniture belonged to the previous owners and will not go back down the tiny staircase... it sort of got built into the house when it was extended in the 60's! We'll be shuffling it between rooms and painting some of it and we're delighted to make use of such solid old oak pieces!
Eeeugh! That's a bit awful isn't it! No more of that...it'll all be gone soon! Along with most of the old electrics, plumbing, facilities..... oh my!
Back downstairs; I do love a cupboard staircase! So energy efficient - I think every home should have one and am baffled that the Building Control Button Counters haven't caught on to this along with all their other Important Rules and Regulations about which I am learning a very great deal!!
The damp work down here is huge but will all be over in a few weeks! The sitting room is filling up with Builder Stuff... tools, materials, scary chemical liquids in spray applicators.....oo-er!
Another view of that lovely little kitschen....
I do love it too. But sadly it all has to come out for the damp work and then it won't go back as the back boards are rather damp and manky too! But I am very, very hopeful that when this space becomes my new workroom it will have at least some of that linoleum floor! We're covering it in hardboard to try and protect it a bit during the demolition.... Did I say demolition????
The little bathroom is just off the kitschen... the wall between is coming out to use the whole space for a workroom and the bathroom will be moved upstairs where it belongs! (I can't abide the idea of a little person creeping down dark stairs in the middle of the night!) More lovely flooring to try and preserve here too! And that adorable basin!
We are about to start living on toast, toast and more toast as all of this is moved up into the bedroom where we'll also have a kettle! All you need for fine dining don't you know?!
Now, there is a surprise in our little cottage....Come with me out through the hall door....and there is another 'front' door....
...through to the even tinkier little Annexe! All will be knocked together very soon - I am having trouble getting out in the morning as we are sleeping one side with the facilities on the other and I have a bundle of keys to rival the Keeper of the Tower of London!
There's another tiled fireplace here too....
Sadly both of these old surrounds will have to be removed for the Damp Work.... it's a very destructive but essential process. One day - possibly a very long time down the line - this will be our new kitchen.... and that flue will be the new home for a range cooker... if I'm a very lucky girl! Meanwhile....
..the annexe first floor will be our little Haven Central for the duration of the works... kettle, toaster, shower, loo..... what else is there a mummy and her Beautiful Boy could possibly need......?! (do you spy those floorboards? I was so relieved to find them under the carpets.... we'll be painting those I think to save on carpet costs!). So, after all those shocking revelations time for some loveliness of a fabric kind! I received a surprise parcel! And you know how I love surprise parcels!
Kind Sal over at Sal's Snippets sent me this fabulous bundle of treats!
Topped off with this incredible piece of linen embroidery
Now didn't I manage to end on a pretty note?!
Beautiful boy is away for a few days so I'm busy, busy in my makeshift workroom trying to finish a Wedding Cake Sampler this week. Builder Man is going to make my work space look like a Forensic Investigation Scene from a US cop series! All plastic walls and flapping doors!
Mrs Bobobun and I are off to jolly at the seaside this weekend with Little Vintage Lover Burnham Market. We're going up together so will have over an hour's drive-time chatty chat! Wahey! Maybe see you there?!
I will get back when I can with more pictures..... BT are doing what they do best about my broadband supply..... zippety doo-da!! :-) t.xx
P.S. A little bird tells me I might have a mention in the Guardian on Saturday in a seaside feature..... not sure if it's going ahead but very excited about it! x

Comments

Oh its great to see some photos of your new home, I love to see progress, bet it will be so warm and inviting when your finished. Hope you have a nice weekend

All things nice...
KC'sCourt! said…
Can't wait to see what is going to look like. I do know what it is like to have a house like that! The first home we owned looked like that and it was only a bungalow!
Julie xxxxxx
Anonymous said…
I was at school with Sal and she is a lovely person. So glad I have caught up with this post!
Kindest Regards Linda
Stephanie said…
I am sure you will make a heaven of this place which is full of promising dreams!!!
Take care.
Stephanie
Unknown said…
What a fantastic new home - and all yours wow! It is going to be stunning and I am sure it will grace many magazines.

What a fantastic adventure you are on.

xxx
Anonymous said…
Oh, I just love your new home! It's so magical. :) The linoleum in the kitchen is amazing - I do hope it can be salvaged.

I adore it! Lucky, lucky you! :)
It is going to be fabulous T! Very messy but exciting.....keep on posting progress so we can go along on this new journey with you!

Jayne
Loved the spirography wallpaper. Great colours and design there. Some great finds in that house of yours. :O)
I love the wallpaper, and the lino, and the box staircase (we had one of those in a derelict cottage at the end of our house until it ws incorporated into the main home when I was five).
You've got a lot of work ahead and I look forward to hearing all about it.
Miss Prudence said…
i love how you are trying to preserve what you can - but i have to say I was gasping at the potential bill size you might have on your hands!! What a brave woman you are taking on such a mamoth job. I cannot wait to see the transformation.
Serenata said…
Oh my goodness you certainly have your work cut out for you, but I can see that it is going to look fabulous when finally finished. Isn't the wallpaper great...I hope you can retain some of it.
prettyshabby said…
Hello T, your last email all makes sense now as I hadn't realised you were on the move. Your new home looks like it's going to be fantastic, I felt just the same way when we found all the old layers of wallpaper and bits and pieces under the original 1930's lino, all these treasures and secrets that houses hold..(we had messages on walls, a perfectly kept 1933 bus timetable hidden up the chimney and lucky old pennies in ours)it's so fascinating isn't it? I love the fact that the old furniture has to stay in that part of your cottage! mind you,that's one good thing with damp houses..the old wallpaper comes off easily! I shall really look forward to seeing the progress if you choose to share it with us. Best of luck and lots of happiness to you and your boy and your new beginnings x
I hope the fair goes well this weekend too!
Planet Penny said…
Oh Wow! What a scary amount of work, but how fabulous it will all be in the end. And you are managing to work too, I'm so impressed! You deserve your trip to the seaside, even if it is more hard work! love Penny x
thesnailgarden said…
I think your cottage is going to look fantastic once you have completed all the planned work. I hope it all goes smoothly. Wishing you all the best, Pj x
Unknown said…
What an exciting but frustrating time for you! It will all be worth it in the end and please show us the "after" pictures.
Good Luck,
Mary xx
Miss Rascal said…
OMG! OMG! OMG! I love the floor in your kitchen! <3
Eartha Kitsch said…
This is so exciting! I know that you all have tons of work and dust ahead of you but in the end, with your creativity and flair for design, it will all be even more fantastic than it is now. I looooooove that kitchen floor and do hope that you get to keep some of it. And an ice cream truck that stops at your door? This place was meant to be. Congratulations!
Jeannie B. said…
You are very brave and also a woman of vision. The first sign of damp problems would have sent me searching farther afield. But the Boys bedroom is going to be a fun place to be. I love the slanting room and nooks and crannies. Best of luck to you!
A time to dance said…
oh that all brings back memories of when we moved into number 32...although it took years to sort out and do up because we were as poor as church mice... your new home is going to be beautiful...you will be able to get it just as you want it....can't wait to see it finished...If you could see my other half now you would giggle he is hanging out of the window of our cottage pretending to be a handsome prince...dream on...love and hugs from our bavarian castle...H
The Curious Cat said…
ooo exciting! A blank(ish) canvas for you to do so much with! Exciting and creative times ahead it would seem - can't wait to share it with you! :) xxx
The Pea Pod said…
Your home is great! Nearly finished doing mine up after seven years of saving, doing, saving doing...

I can't wait to see the reveal pics - oh I'm so excited!!