Wayne and Me....

Mrs Bun and I had a wonderful trip to Burnham Market. I'm in love with these delightful vintage rattles which I recently came across and added to my stall....
Saturday was an exciting day! As promised the Guardian Travel supplement Seaside Special was published, and there, alongside the words of many people I admire, were 200 words on my seaside! Why? How?
I have no idea. But being next-door-but-one to Wayne Hemmingway (is that an 80's-design-student-hero-worship-thing or do you share my admiration?!) was worth all the worry and re-writing - 200 words took forever! I shall have my copy laminated for the smallest room in the house! Wayne and Me at the Seaside! And... do you see?
...they also used my Candy Floss sign in their seaside montage! Candy Floss was indeed £1 a bag on Hunstanton Promenade the day I took that picture!
If you wish you can read the full feature here.
Back down to earth with a bump...a bash... a bang and lots of pneumatic drilling and brick dust!
One of these arrived early on Monday....
and by the end of the first day an old tiled fireplace started to look like a very much older inglenook! Not exactly Home Sweet Home quite yet but we are making startling progress in the demolition phase and we're only on day three!  We have also had a steady stream of electricians, plumbers and chimney people coming to visit and discuss their quotations... all very baffling...
...I persevere until I find one I think can comprehend how utterly dim I am about it all without then feeling the need to try and educate me! I just want them to do their thing and ask me to make decisions on the girly bits! Really. I have no interest whatsoever in the functional stuff! If they're honest, reasonably priced, seem to make good suggestions (i.e. save me from thinking too much about it) and are available at the right time, then that's good enough for me! Do I want a bunded tank? Have I considered a 15 gang circuit board? Well, frankly, no! But since you ask, I saw a very nice Ted Baker handbag which would be infinitely preferable to a condensing boiler!
Thankfully I have had something else to keep me busy - in our little haven there has been stitching...
... I can't show you the whole piece as it's a wedding gift and I don't want to spoil any surprises by accident. I have loved stitching this piece. It has been a welcome distraction, especially when the beautiful boy is away!
 Lots of personal details were added and the colour scheme was adapted to the couple's wedding design....
All packaged up and parceled off ready for their big day.
B.T. have finally done whatever it is they do and we have Broadband so I am online again at home! Service was magically restored with one phonecall made by the very nice engineer man who said; "No, I don't really understand it all either....".
Maybe some garden pictures next - the house is all looking a bit scary... but so far the kitschen linoleum floor is surviving well! Phew! Hope you're all having a lovely week. t.x

Comments

Frances said…
Thanks for this update. I am so glad that you are now all connected with broadband (greedy fan of your posts right here!)

You sound busy, energized and full of creative juice.

Best wishes.
Great post! Another Wayne Hemmingway fan here. He was so "into" vintage before others cottoned on to it..

That looks a lovely piece of embroidery. I LOVE that little insect winging its way around the flowers...... a very nice touch! :O)
pinkgreen said…
I loved your piece in the Guardian - congratulations! The stitchery looks like a fabulous gift - they're a lucky couple to receive something made with such love. Good luck with the renovations - it can be scary!
Cathy XX
Ivy Black said…
I saw you in the Guardian! Loved the piece and gave it a mention in a posting on my blog. And yes I do think Wayne is a bit of a star!
x
I read your piece in the Guardian last night (it takes me a while to work through the weekend papers) and was really excited to see your name, especially as I agreed with every word you said.
rockinloubylou said…
All very exciting. That fireplace is wonderful - well done for discovering it.
Kitty said…
Another Hemmingway fan here. I wrote to him many years ago whilst at uni studying textiles / fashion asking for a work placement. Although i wasn't successful in getting a work placement i did receive a lovely letter from him wishing me luck in my degree.
Congratulations! What a lovely article. And the wedding present looks so pretty. C x
Great article - and in such exaulted company too, well done. Glad you are cracking on with the house improvements - it'll be lovely when it's finished.
Planet Penny said…
Congratulations on the Guardian piece. I've looked at your renovation pics and having been there and done that a little bit of me curled up and whimpered, but it will be great in the end! Love your wedding present too, are you going to show the whole thing once it's been safely presented to the happy couple? P x
I have come across two coincidences while reading your blog so I feel quite excited that we have some things in common!
1. I only mentioned Wayne Hemingway in my blog last night about how one of his first shops was near mine in the Corn Exchange in Leeds!
2. I have the same milk jug you have in your China Love!

Anyway, am going now to read your article!

Love Rachel x
PA259 said…
Got into your blog through the guardian article so thanks to them! Also love Wayne Hemingway and really, really wish I was going to the vintage festival this weekend. Never mind, am staying in London and going Camden Market shopping with teenage daughter. Should be fun!
A Thrifty Mrs said…
Great update.
I love WH too.
A time to dance said…
good luck with all the dust and mess...thinking of you and pondering Norfolk at half term....
MarmaladeRose said…
Just been catching up with your goings on. Good luck with your new home and I hope all works out well for you and your family.
This is so creative! Check out this site. I have used and even bought some of the stuff off this site when I decorated my apartment down at school. It's www.squidoo.com/apartmentdecorations

Its really convenient and shares a lot of good tips!
Unknown said…
Who hoo - what it is to have friends in high places - how wonderful.

Congratulations on your article in the Guardian - looks like your new life is going to be spectacular

Love, love, love the cottage.
xxx
Anonymous said…
I can't wait to see more progress of your new home. Having lived through one renovation, I don't envy you though :)
Jeannie B. said…
I do love seeing your house updates. And can't wait to see your stitched wedding gift. Looks very interesting!!
Unknown said…
Great article, and your embroidery is beautiful! Have a sweet day!
silverpebble said…
Hello hello. I am utterly thrilled for you about your article. Nexct step - the world!

How are your enjoying your little nest? I hope there are lots and lots of lovely moments and you and the boy are making a haven.
Helen Philipps said…
I loved seeing the vintage rattle. I'm new to your blog and enjoying it very much - just had to remember not to type kitschen in something I wrote today mentioning a kitchen! Good luck with the renovations - it will be worth it in the end. Helen x